Thursday 23 February 2012

Review of 'Star Fish' by Nicola May

** What it’s about **

Amy Anderson has a plan.  To find her “sole mate” by dating her way through the twelve signs of the zodiac.

Tired of looking for love, the dreamy Piscean decides that an astrological dating agency is the only way to meet the man of her dreams.

So who will finally woo Amy during the hysterical search? Will it be Ted the Arian photography with a passion for ice-skating, or maybe Laurence, the Libran IT whiz kid who likes to get behind the wheel of a fast car? Or how about Capricornian Christopher, the owner of Starr & Sun, the dating agency?

You’ll be kept guessing until the very last page!



** What I thought **

Nicola May is a self-published author; something I admire her massively for.  Having read Working It Out (you can read my review of that book here) and now, Star Fish, I’m amazed that she hasn’t been picked up by a big publishing house. Seriously guys....sort it out!

Nicola May has followed in the footsteps of her debut novel Working It Out but this time instead of job-hunting, we are man-hunting.  I found it a little harder to get into Star Fish than Working It Out – I have to admit I missed Gorgeous George and his banter!  But once I’d got into it, I was hooked.  

As Amy dates her way through the star signs, there are some hilarious encounters, some cringeworthy ones and some rather steamy ones too.  Nicola May will have you rooting for the good guys, and knowing that others are going to trip themselves at the first hurdle!  The book is packed full of vibrant characters – I loved Brad and despite everything, I also had a bit of a thing for “Declan”. The ending isn't predictable; you'll be wondering "will she, won't she" up until the very last minute!

This is a wonderfully fun and light-hearted read that will leave you with a smile on your face.  Other things I love about Nicola are that she is a local girl (she lives in Berkshire) and this comes out in her books.  I also love that she incorporates her love of cats into her books!

Whatever you do, don't let the fact that Nicola is self-published put you off.  Working It Out and Star Fish are publishing-house-quality books and I've certainly enjoyed them more than some recent chick lit books from the big publishing houses! Invest and enjoy.....!

You can find out more about Nicola and her books at www.nicolamay.com and you can follow her on twitter too @NicolaMay1

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! Leave me a comment here: