Monday 17 March 2014

Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson

This review contains a **SPOILER** in the last paragraph!!!

I thought the premise of this book was interesting.  It's good, but it isn't amazing and if you over-analyse it, it becomes totally ridiculously unrealistic. However, at the same time, it's chilling to think something like this could happen to you, and how dependent you would be on your nearest and dearest if you woke every morning not remembering anything about your life. 

I was pleasantly surprised, as when I first started reading and gathered exactly what the story was about, I was worried that it would be too repetitive. Whilst elements are obviously repeated, the author mostly manages to do it on a way that is refreshing each time and interesting. 

I was slightly disappointed by the ending - it leaves too much to the imagination.  I wanted more closure, more explanation.  



**SPOILER ALERT** - I wondered throughout most of the book whether Ben was making her worse by giving her some sort of drug, and thought that was the direction the book was going to go in.  I was wrong but somehow there were elements that just didn't ring true with the ending. Too many unanswered questions, too much of a "fairytale ending" which doesn't quite sit true, but still an enjoyable light read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! Leave me a comment here: