Sunday 13 July 2014

The Things I'd Miss by Andrew Clover

"If you could change your past, would you?

Lucy is married, she has children, but she is haunted by the feeling that somewhere along the line her life's gone wrong.

One cross, hectic day, she has a car crash, and when she wakes, she is eighteen again and lying beside the man she's always loved - the one she never kissed.

She wants to do it now. She thinks she's in control.

But she's not, and she has far more to lose than she realised."


I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this book.  I found it to be a quick read, but I had mixed emotions about it.  I liked the concept, and the delivery of the story was fairly unique, but I didn't love it.

The Things I'd Miss starts off in the present, and very quickly turns into a car crash (literally), after which the entire book is a series of memories, occasionally intermingled with present day.  It uses the concept of the soul leaving the body and memories to tell Lucy's past.

I thought briefly that the story was going to have elements of 'the butterfly effect' to it, but it doesn't go down that route.  

Yes, it might be a reminder that you should treasure the things you have and not worry about the past, that the past probably wasn't all it was cracked up to be and that you shouldn't want to change the past as that would destroy your future, but I personally didn't find it that moving.  I didn't have the chance to get to know Lucy in the first instance, and most importantly, come to like her as an adult, and therefore when I was plunged into her past after only a few pages, I found myself feeling slightly detached.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! Leave me a comment here: