Wednesday 26 November 2014

Shopaholic to the Stars by Sophie Kinsella

"Becky Brandon (nee Bloomwood) is in Hollywood! It's as if all her life has been leading to this moment. She's hanging out with the stars … or at least she will be, when she finally gets to meet movie superstar Sage Seymour, whom husband Luke is now managing.

There's so much to see and do! And getting Minnie through the hurdles for her A-list Hollywood pre-school will require some…er…help.

Becky sets her heart on a new career - she's going to be a celebrity stylist. Red carpet, here she comes! But Becky soon finds it's tough in Tinseltown. Luckily her best friend Suze comes over to keep her company, and together they embark on the Hollywood insider trail. But somehow...things aren't quite working out as they’d hoped.

Then Becky's big chance comes, and it's an opportunity that money can't buy. But will it cost her too much?"




I read the first Sophie Kinsella Confessions of a Shopaholic book, and in my head I would class myself as a fan of the Sophie Kinsella Shopaholic series but in all honesty I haven't read the rest of the series so have not kept fully up to date with Becky Bloomwood (now Brandon!) and since I last visited Becky she has married and has a daughter, Minnie!  To be honest, I was shocked to discover this was the seventh book in the series!

I enjoyed the book, and the story of Becky as she attempts to dazzle on the red carpet and mingle with the stars but I can understand why "die hard fans" might think that Becky has lost her way.  She was annoying and a pain in the **** for most of the book, and didn't really redeem herself until the very end of the book and this is just before the reader discovers that this particular story line has been split into two books so there is a major loose end which may leave readers somewhat frustrated (especially given this book is pretty long in itself).  

On the other hand, her husband and daughter are cute; Minnie really is the star of this show! This may not be the Becky you all know and love, as she is pretty selfish and self-centered in this book but perhaps she will return to good form in the next installment where all our questions will hopefully be answered!

All in all, I enjoyed it but I didn't adore it with all my heart and soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! Leave me a comment here: